A.G. Barr’s internal marketing and gamification leads to unprecedented LMS user engagement.
A.G. Barr is a FTSE250 Company which has been manufacturing and distributing some of the UK’s best-loved soft drinks and refreshments since 1875.
Currently employing 900+ employees across the UK, A.G. Barr recognise the need to continually invest in their employees to increase skills, develop talent, and support the delivery of ambitious business objectives.
Totara LMS is a key ingredient which underpins the delivery of learning via a platform that is scalable, sustainable and flexible enough to support AG Barr’s needs and, ultimately, their growth. Their aim is to have a learning platform that is as phenomenal as their products.
After a successful roll-out of their Totara platform in 2012, feedback from employees was extremely positive. This was reflected in the growing usage figures as well as increased demand for content and bespoke learning projects across the business.
In February 2016, new projects were planned for the year ahead which would rely on key Totara features as well as a well-structured expanding catalogue of content.
It was identified that the structure and tracking of content needed to be revisited and examined to ensure that the system was future-proof for the delivery of planned projects and beyond, while meeting new tracking and reporting requirements.
With future projects in mind and in order to maintain momentum, A.G. Barr worked with Platinum Partner, MediaCorp Online, to examine the ways the courses and learning content were organised and presented in Totara with the aim of ensuring that content would continue to be easy to access, find, and use from a learner’s perspective, no matter their technological experience or the amount of time they have been with the business.
This led to a content re-mapping and re-structuring exercise and new, fresh dashboard designs were commissioned which would reflect the ethos of the content re-structuring.
The new design and structure would be re-launched with an internal promotional campaign by mid-March 2016.
- The re-designed dashboards for target groups have been well received. Each screen has been designed by combining A.G. Barr branding with the need for an enjoyable user experience. The result is both ‘on-brand’ and visually engaging.
- Making the most of audiences in combination with HTML alerts as part of targeted internal marketing campaigns has contributed to unprecedented numbers of employees logging onto and making use of the system and the courses and resources.
- Implementation of gamified elements, including open badges and leader boards has been a revelation in boosting user and team engagement, as well as motivation. This has even reached those employees who do not have computer/internet access readily available on a day-to-day basis, something we have always struggled to achieve in the past.
- The new visual analytics dashboard shows in-time analysis of key trends in usage with a single click. This has significantly reduced the amount of time spent downloading, analysing and comparing reports, resulting in greater buy-in from people managers.
- MediaCorp have developed bespoke plug-ins and HTML/PHP screens to support various learning projects, and these have merged seamlessly with the existing platform, allowing us to build additional functionality as and when needed to support specific business functions.
“The success of the refresh and re-design exercise is confirmation that we were right to choose Totara as our platform. Working with MediaCorp Online, we are continually thinking about the future, pushing our expectations, and are consistently surprised at what the system is capable of and what it can do for us.
The flexibility the platform offers when it comes to delivering bespoke learning projects based on our competencies, management and leadership frameworks, and our performance management toolkit is unrivalled. The use of open badges and the introduction of our new single click analytics dashboard has added a new level of transparency. It has given our learners a fresh injection of enthusiasm for the platform, motivating them to use it to an extent that has exceeded our expectations. On the whole, our Totara platform has streamlined delivery of on-demand learning across the business and facilitated far more efficient reporting and administration.”
– Lindsay Barrie, Learning & Development Manager
Looking for some more information or want a free custom demo of the system?
Why not get in touch for an informal chat about your requirements.